Sstone Thomas - History

Sstone Thomas - History

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Stone, thomas

Thomas Stone was born on his family’s plantation, Poynton Manor in Charles County Maryland in 1743. He received an excellent classical education and was later apprenticed to a lawyer in Annapolis. He was admitted to the bar in 1764.

Stone first became involved with politics in 1773 when he served as a member of the committee of correspondence in Charles County.. In 1775 attended the provincial convention where he was asked to attend the Continental Congress. He did so in 1775 and served until 1778, but was one of the less zealous men present. He was always strongly in favor of some sort of reconciliation with the British.

Thomas Stone served on the Maryland State senate for most his life, and he also came back to the Congress in 1784 where he served as president for almost a year. He died in 1787 at the age of forty-four. He is buried in his family’s graveyard near Habre-de-Venture.

Mount Rushmore

Carved into the southeastern face of Mount Rushmore in South Dakota’s Black Hills National Forest are four gigantic sculptures depicting the faces of U.S. Presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt. The 60-foot high faces were shaped from the granite rock face between 1927 and 1941, and represent one of the world’s largest pieces of sculpture, as well as one of America’s most popular tourist attractions. To many Native Americans, however, Mount Rushmore represents a desecration of lands considered sacred by the Lakota Sioux, the original residents of the Black Hills region who were displaced by white settlers and gold miners in the late 19th century. 

Life and Career of Thomas Stone

Thomas Stone married the love of his life, Margaret Brown in 1768. The two would share a life of friendship together. Margaret would give birth to three children all of which would survive to adulthood. Stone purchased 400 acres and began to cultivate the land. He would go onto own one of the largest plantations in Maryland while also becoming one of its most prominent lawyers. He would employ his younger brother to run his plantation so he could focus on his law practice.

The Stamp Act became a lightning rod for independence and caused many of the prominent men of colonial society to begin to push for independence. Thomas Stone would join the Committee of correspondence and would become a member of Maryland&rsquos Annapolis Convention. He would be elected to serve as a delegate to the Continental Congress and would eventually sign the Declaration of Independence, but it took some prodding.

Within the Continental Congress there were differing factions. One faction did not want to go to war and was led by the poignant and influential quaker from Pennsylvania, John Dickinson. Dickinson was a pacifist and did not believe in war and wished to push for colonial reconciliation with Great Britain. Thomas Stone would side with Dickinson. Stone did not want to sever ties with Great Britain in fear of a long and violent war. He was a bit of a pacifist, but not to the extreme that Dickinson was one. By May of 1776 Stone was convinced to sign the declaration. He did so and then returned home to a personal tragedy.

Most of the American Revolutionary War was spent at home by his wife&rsquos side. Margaret had been inoculated with smallpox which had an adverse effect on him. She would never regain her health and would die in 1787. The loss was excruciating for Stone and he would never recover. He would die of a broken heart shortly after while preparing a ship to sail to Alexandria. His plantation would stay in the family for five generations.

Shortly before his wife passed Stone served in the Maryland senate and pushed for the state to ratify the Articles of Confederation. The articles proved ineffective and would bring forth the Constitution. Stone would not live to see it.

Charles Goodrich says this about the tragedy that struck Thomas Stone and the events that followed:

In 1787, Mr. Stone was called to experience an affliction which caused a deep and abiding melancholy to settle upon his spirits. This was the death of Mrs. Stone, to whom he was justly and most tenderly attached. During a long state of weakness and decline, induced by injudicious treatment on the occasion of her having the small pox by inoculation, Mr. Stone watched over her with the most unwearied devo-tion. At length, however, she sank to the grave. From this time, the health of Mr. Stone evidently declined. In the autumn of the same year his physicians advised him to make a sea voyage and in obedience to that advice, he re-paired to Alexandria, to embark for England. Before the vessel was ready to sail, however, he suddenly expired, on the fifth of October, 1787, in the forty-fifth year of his age.

Mr. Stone was a professor of religion, and distinguished for a sincere and fervent piety. To strangers, he had the appearance of austerity but among his intimate friends, he was affable, cheerful, and familiar. In his disposition he was uncommonly amiable, and well disposed. In person, he was tall, but well proportioned.

A Brief History of the Stone-Campbell Tradition

The American frontier of the early 19th century was brimming with religious fervor. While the human spirit was being awakened in the cities of the United States, there was a special intensity to the revivals of the frontier.

Included in these revivals were churches that now comprise the Stone-Campbell heritage. The name comes from the primary founders of this branch of Christianity. In Kentucky, Barton Warren Stone (1772-1844) was a Presbyterian minister who, along with others, called for a return to simple New Testament Christianity. In fact, Stone believed that followers of Christ should go by no other name than “Christian.” In Pennsylvania and what is now West Virginia, father and son Thomas Campbell (1763-1854) and Alexander Campbell (1788-1866) championed the idea of “one Church of Christ upon earth.” They, too, believed that followers of Christ should not be identified by sectarian names and asked that only “Disciples” be used.

When the Stone and Campbell camps eventually came together, both “Christian” and “Disciples of Christ” were retained as designators.

Stone-Campbell churches fall into the category of Protestant free-church. That is, individual congregations are seen as the pinnacle of church expression, are independent/autonomous organizations, and advocate the separation of church and state.

The Stone-Campbell churches are characterized by a focus on New Testament teaching, shared governance between clergy and laity, baptism by immersion, ecumenism, and the regular celebration of communion during worship.

There was never a monolithic structure for these churches. In North America today, Stone-Campbell churches are found mainly in three groups (or “streams”): Churches of Christ, Christian Churches/Churches of Christ, and the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). The latter has especially been involved in Christian ecumenism since the beginning of the 20th century.

The three streams are connected through an organization known as the World Convention. Globally, congregations descending from this tradition can be found in over 100 countries.

Disciples of Christ Historical Society archives materials related to all churches in the Stone-Campbell heritage and offers research assistance to interested parties. Disciples History also tells the Stone-Campbell story through this website and other resources.

St. Thomas, Virgin Islands: Facts & History

Archaeological evidence suggests that St. Thomas was once home to natives of the Ciboney tribes, the Taino or Arawak tribe and the Caribs. Indian habitation in what is today the Virgin Islands was recorded in journals kept by settlers and explorers in the late 1500s. By the 1600s however, the Indian populations had plummeted due to disease brought by Europeans, raids by Spanish settlers from neighboring islands and immigration to other islands of the Caribbean. These indigenous groups no longer exists in the Virgin Islands.

Christopher Colombus is credited with “discovering” St. Thomas during his second voyage to the New World in 1493. He apparently was not impressed, as he didn’t stay long, instead sailing on to Puerto Rico. The island was left unguarded by the Spanish and soon its sheltered bays were called on by ships from other nations, captained by men the Spanish would come to consider pirates. St. Thomas’ existence would continue as home to pirates and small settlements long before a European power decided to pursue a permanent settlement.

In 1671 the Danish West India Company received its charter from King Christian V to occupy and take possession of St. Thomas and islands thereabouts that might be uninhabited and suitable for plantations. Part of the charter indicated that the Danish government would supply the company with as many male convicts as necessary for working the plantations and as many women, who were under arrest, as needed. Authorities would soon learn that convicts did not make good workers! The officials in St. Thomas would quickly welcome colonists from other neighboring islands and rely on African slaves for labor.

The first two ships that set sail to settle St. Thomas headed out on August 30, 1671 and arrived three months later on February 26,1672. The original crew included 116 men engaged by the company and 61 convicts. The first months and years of colonization were costly in terms of lives. Of the first two ships that sailed 89 people died on one ship and 75 died after landing. A third ship with 67 passengers on board sailed to St. Thomas in 1673 7 died on board and 53 after landing! With these grim numbers the little Danish settlement on St. Thomas grew slowly. Many Dutch settlers seeped in from neighboring islands consequently from the very beginning Dutch was the dominant language. In 1673 a ship of 103 slaves was sent to St. Thomas, another 24 added in 1675 and 16 in 1678. These were the first of many slaves brought to the island.

The population in 1680 was 156 whites and 175 blacks. The settlement included one fort, one road running through the island and about 50 plantations (of which 46 were occupied). Neighboring islands around St. Thomas, like Buck Island and Water Island, were used as pastures for goats and sheep intended to feed the settlers on St. Thomas.


After some time passed the government realized that much of St. Thomas’ future lay in the development of the area around the natural harbor. Soon Taphus was born! Taphus, meaning beer houses or halls, was the name of what is today Charlotte Amalie. The latter name used in honor of King Christian V’s wife. When the governor gave licenses to residents to develop the area around the harbor, taverns quickly sprung up as did seafarers who enjoyed Taphus.

Seafarers… pirates! Under the Esmit Brothers, who served as the 2nd and 3rd governors of St. Thomas, the island gained the image of being a pirates den. This is not surprising considering the Esmit Brothers are said to have illegally and openly traded with freebooters and allowed them to use St. Thomas as a refuge. Romanticized stories of piracy on St. Thomas are common stories of pirates Blackbeard and Bluebeard are the most well known.

In 1685, after several years of poor management, the Danish West India Company signed a treaty with the Brandenburger Company allowing them to establish a slave trading business on St. Thomas. Despite the slave trade being big business, Bradenburger reports indicate that their prosperity was impeded by difficulties with the Danish hosts and conflicts with the Dutch West India Company.

Early 1700’s

The early 1700’s were the boom period for St. Thomas, sugar became the popular crop and slave trading was on the rise. African slaves were used for labor on the many plantations that dotted the island. Additionally, many traders from other islands came to St. Thomas to buy slaves. Between 1691 and 1715 the population of St. Thomas grew from 389 whites to 547 and 555 blacks to 3042.

In 1717, a small group of planters, slaves and soldiers were sent from St. Thomas to claim St. John. And, on June 13,1733 the Danish West India Company bought St. Croix from France.

In 1754 a proposal recommending that the Danish Government take over the administration of the islands was approved by King Frederik V. The islands became crown colonies. Around this same time St. Croix was growing rapidly, its population almost doubling St. Thomas’ and St. John’s combined. The capital was moved from St. Thomas to Christiansted, St. Croix. While St. Croix developed a typical plantation economy, St. Thomas’ economy shifted to trade.

The English seized the Danish islands in 1801 for about a year and again from 1807 to 1815. While the first takeover left little lasting effect the second caused trade on St. Thomas to stagnate and left some planters impoverished.

Free Port

St. Thomas was made a free port in 1815 and in the years following it became a shipping center and distributing point for the West Indies. Charlotte Amalie flourished commercially. Large and small importing houses, belonging to English, French, German, Italian, American, Spanish, Sephardim and Danish owners, were thriving. A large part of all West Indian trade was channeled through the harbor. Of the 14,000 inhabitants, many of them free, only about 2,500 (mostly slaves) gained their living on plantations. A substantial segment of free Blacks worked as clerks, shop keepers and artisans. The population and atmosphere was very cosmopolitan, particularly in comparison to its sister island of St. Croix where plantation life was the norm. It is on St. Croix that a slave revolt in 1848 prompted the abolition of slavery in the Danish West Indies.

With the increase of steamships in the 1840’s St. Thomas continued forward by becoming a coaling station for ships running between South and North America. Shipping lines made Charlotte Amalie their headquarters. Later advancements in steam and political climate made it possible for Spanish and English islands to import directly from producers, therefore skipping St. Thomas. By the 1860’s the end of prosperity loomed in the horizon. Coaling however, would continue until about 1935. Coaling ships was an occupation largely filled by women.

Late 1800s

In the late 1800s through early 1900s, several major natural disasters including hurricanes, fires and a tsunami left Charlotte Amalie wanting for major re-building. Years passed before the old warehouses that once stored goods for trade would be rebuilt to house the fancy boutiques and stores that line the streets today. On St. Croix, plantations were suffering with labor issues and low market prices on sugar. The Danish West Indies became more and more dependent on Denmark, and its treasury, during these difficult times.

Negotiations between the United States and Denmark were initiated on several occasions between 1865 and 1917 when the final deal was struck and the United States bought the Danish West Indies for $25 million.

‘Virgin Islands of America’

The United States flag was hoisted on the three ‘Virgin Islands of America’ on the 31st of March 1917. The islands remained under US Navy Rule until 1931 during that time several major public works and social reform projects were undertaken. Governors were appointed from 1931 until 1969 when the first elected governor took office. The capital of the island group is Charlotte Amalie, on St. Thomas.

As air and sea travel increased in the 1950s prosperity returned to Charlotte Amalie and St. Thomas. Tourism continued to grow in the years thereafter. The island saw an increase in population as immigrants from other Caribbean islands came in hopes of finding work in the developing tourism industry.

St. Thomas moved into the 21st century maintaining its prominence as one of the Caribbean’s top vacation destinations and Charlotte Amalie as a favorite cruise ship port of call.

Stonewall Jackson’s Shenandoah Valley Campaign

In the spring of 1862, Jackson spearheaded the Shenandoah Valley Campaign, firmly establishing himself as a strong and independent commander. The Confederate army’s high command had charged him with the task of defending western Virginia from an invasion by Union troops. With an army of some 15,000 to 18,000 troops, Jackson repeatedly outmaneuvered a superior Union force of more than 60,000 men. Jackson’s army moved so quickly during the campaign that they dubbed themselves 𠇏oot cavalry.” President Abraham Lincoln (1809-65) had split the Union army into three parts, and Jackson used his mobility to attack and confuse the divided forces over the course of the campaign. He won several key victories over armies of larger size. By the campaign’s end in June, he had earned the admiration of Union generals. Jackson had prevented the Northerners from taking the Confederate capital of Richmond, Virginia, and had done so in the face of unfavorable odds.

Thomas Stone

Thomas Stone was the son of David Stone, of Pointon Manor, Charles County, Maryland. His father was a de-scendant of William Stone, who was governor of Maryland during the protectorate of Oliver Cromwell. The boyhood of Thomas Stone was distinguished by an unusual fondness for learning. At the age of fifteen, having acquired a re-spectable knowledge of the English language, he obtained the reluctant consent of his father to enter the school of a Mr. Blaizedel, a Scotchman, for the purpose of pursuing the Greek and Latin languages. This school was at the distance of ten miles from his father's residence yet, such was the zeal of young Stone, that he was in the habit of rising sufficiently early in tile morning, to traverse this distance on horseback, and enter the school at the usual time of its commencement.
On leaving the school of Mr. Blaizedel, the subject of our memoir was anxious to prosecute the study of law. But, although his father was a gentleman of fortune, his son was under the necessity of borrowing money to enable him to carry his laudable design into effect. He placed himself under the care of Thomas Johnson, a respectable lawyer of Annapolis. Having finished his preparatory studies, he entered upon the practice of his profession in Fredericktown, Mary-land, where having resided two years, he removed to Charles county, in the same state.
During his residence in the former of these places, his business had enabled him to discharge the obligations under which he had laid himself for his education. At the age of twenty-eight, he married the daughter of Dr. Gustavus Brown, with whom he received the sum of one thousand pounds sterling. With this money, he purchased a farm, near the village of Port Tobacco, upon which he continued to reside during the revolutionary struggle.
The business of Mr. Stone, during a considerable part of that period, was not lucrative and as the soil of the farm upon which he lived was poor, he found it difficult to obtain more than a competent livelihood. The expenses of his family were increased by the charge of four brothers, who were yet of tender years. The situation of many of our fathers, during those trying times, was similar to that of Mr. Stone. They had small patrimonies business was in a great mea-sure suspended and, added to this, their time and talents wore imperiously demanded by their suffering country. Yet, amidst all these difficulties and trials, a pure patriotism con-tinued to burn within their breasts, and enabled them most cheerfully to make any and every sacrifice to which they were called by the cause of freedom. Nor should it be for-gotten, that in these sacrifices the families of our fathers joy-fully participated. They received without a murmur "the spoiling of their goods," being elevated by the reflection, that this was necessary for the achievement of that indepen-dence to which they considered themselves and their posteri-ty as entitled.
Although Mr. Stone was a gentleman of acknowledged ta-lents, and of inflexible and incorruptible integrity, it does not appear that he was brought forward into public life until some time in the year 1774. He was not a member of the illustrious Congress of that year, but receiving an appointment as a delegate in December, he took his seat in that body in the following May and, for several years afterwards, was annually re-elected to the same dignified station.
In our biographical sketches of the other gentlemen who belonged about this time to the Maryland delegation, we have had frequent occasion to notice the loyalty and affection which prevailed in that province, for several years, towards the king and the parent country and hence the reluctance of her citizens to sanction the Declaration of Independence. When, therefore, towards the close of the year 1775, such a measure began seriously to be discussed in the country, the people of Maryland became alarmed and, apprehensive lest their delegation in congress, which was composed generally of young men, should be disposed to favor the measure, the convention of that province attempted to restrain them by strict and specific instructions: "We instruct you," said they, "that you do not, without the previous knowledge and approbation of the convention of this province, assent to any proposition to declare these colonies independent of the crown of Great Britain, nor to any proposition for making or entering into an alliance with any foreign power nor to any union or confederation of these colonies, which may necessarily lead to a separation from the mother country, unless in your judgments, or in the judgments of any four of you, or a majority of the whole of you, if all shall be then attending in Congress, it shall be thought absolutely necessary for the preservation of the liber-ties of the united colonies and should a majority of the colo-nies in congress, against such your judgment, resolve to declare these colonies independent of the crown of Great Britain, or to make or enter into alliance with any foreign power, or into any union or confederation of these colonies, which may necessarily lead to a separation from the mother country, then we instruct you immediately to call the convention of this province, and repair thereto with such proposi-tion and resolve, and lay the same before the said convention for their consideration and this convention will not hold this province bound by such majority in congress, until the repre-sentative body of the province in convention assent thereto."
The cautious policy observable in these instructions, arose. not so much from timidity on the part of the people of Ma-ryland, as from a sincere attachment to the royal government and an equally sincere affection to the parent country. Soon after, however, the aspect of things in this province began to change. The affections of the people became gradually weaned from Great Britain. It was apparent that a reunion with that country, on constitutional principles, though infinitely desirable, was not to be expected. By the fifteenth of May, 1776, these sentiments had become so strong, that a resolution passed the convention, declaring the authority of the crown at an end, and the necessity that each colony should form a constitution of government for itself.
In the latter part of June, the work of regeneration was accomplished. The people of Maryland generally expressed themselves, in courtly meetings, decidedly in favor of a De-claration of Independence. This expression of public sentiment proved irresistible, and convention proceeded to resolve: "That the instructions given to their deputies be recalled, and the restrictions therein contained, removed and that the deputies of said colony, or any three or more of them, be authorized and empowered to concur with the other united colonies, or a majority of them, in declaring the united colonies free and independent states in forming such further compact and confederation between them in making foreign alliances and in adopting such other measures as shall be adjudged necessary for securing the liberties of America and that said colony will hold itself bound by the resolutions of the majority of the united colonies in the pre-mises provided the sole and exclusive right of regulating the internal government and police of that colony be reser-ved to the people thereof."
Being thus relieved from the trammels which had before bound them, Mr. Stone and his colleagues joyfully recorded their names in favor of a measure, which was connected with the imperishable glory of their country.
Soon after the declaration of independence, congress ap-pointed a committee to prepare articles of confederation. To act on this committee, Mr. Stone was selected from the Maryland delegation. The duty devolving upon them was exceedingly arduous. Their report of the plan of a confede-ration was before the house for a long period, and was the subject of debate thirty-nine times. Nor was it at length agreed to, till the fifteenth day of November, 1777. Although the people of Maryland had consented to a declaration of in-dependence, after their first fervor had subsided, their for-mer jealousy returned and the Maryland convention pro-ceeded to limit the powers of their delegates, as to the forma-tion of the confederation. At the same time, not obscure-ly hinting in their resolution, that it might be still possible and certainly desirable, to accommodate the unhappy diffe-rences with Great Britain.
The above resolution was expressed in the following terms: "That the delegates, or any three or more of them, he authorized and empowered to concur with the other United States, or a majority of them, in forming a confedera-tion, and in making foreign alliances, provided that such confederation, when formed, be not binding upon this state, without the assent of the general assembly and the said delegates, or any three or more of them, are also authorized and empowered to concur in any measures, which may be resolved on by Congress for carrying on the war with Great Britain, and securing the liberties of the United States reserving always to this state, the sole and exclusive right of regulating the internal police thereof. And the said dele-gates, or any three or more of them, are hereby authorized and empowered, notwithstanding any measure heretofore taken, to concur with the congress, or a majority of them, in accommodating our unhappy difference with Great Britain, on such terms as the congress, or a majority of them, shall think proper."
After seeing the confederation finally agreed upon in Con-gress, Mr. Stone declined a re-appointment to that body, but became a member of the Maryland legislature, where he pow-erfully contributed to meliorate the feelings of many, who were strongly opposed to the above plan of confederation. He had the pleasure, however, with other friends of that measure, to see it at length approved by the general assem-bly and the people generally.
Under this confederation, in 1783, he was again elected to a seat in Congress. In the session of 1784 he acted for some time as president pro tempore. On the breaking up of con-gress this year, he finally retired from that body, and again engaged actively in the duties of his profession. His prac-tice now became lucrative in Annapolis, whither he had re-moved his residence and in professional reputation he rose to great distinction. As an advocate, he excelled in strength of argument. He was often employed in cases of great difficulty and by his brethren of the bar, it was thought emi-nently desirable, at such times, to have him for their colleague.
In 1787, Mr. Stone was called to experience an affliction which caused a deep and abiding melancholy to settle upon his spirits. This was the death of Mrs. Stone, to whom he was justly and most tenderly attached. During a long state of weakness and decline, induced by injudicious treatment on the occasion of her having the small pox by inoculation, Mr. Stone watched over her with the most unwearied devo-tion. At length, however, she sank to the grave. From this time, the health of Mr. Stone evidently declined. In the autumn of the same year his physicians advised him to make a sea voyage and in obedience to that advice, he re-paired to Alexandria, to embark for England. Before the vessel was ready to sail, however, he suddenly expired, on the fifth of October, 1787, in the forty-fifth year of his age.
Mr. Stone was a professor of religion, and distinguished for a sincere and fervent piety. To strangers, he had the appearance of austerity but among his intimate friends, he was affable, cheerful, and familiar. In his disposition he was uncommonly amiable, and well disposed. In person, he was tall, but well proportioned.
Mr. Stone left one son and two daughters. The son died in 1793, while pursuing the study of law. One of the daugh-ters, it is said, still lives, and is respectably married in the state Virginia.

Thomas Stone

Thomas Stone was born at Poynton Manor in Charles County Maryland in 1743. He was educated by a Scottish school-master and later studied law at the office of Thomas Johnson. He was admitted to the Bar in 1764 and set up practice in Frederick Maryland. He was a prosperous landowner and moderately successful lawyer.

Stone was elected to Congress in 1775. He did not speak much in congress, so little is known of his service there, except that he was a member of the committee that framed the Articles of Confederation. He voted for Independence in 1776, and his name is affixed to the Declaration. He was elected to Congress again in 1783 and served as chairman, but retired at the end of his term. He was elected to attend the Constitutional Convention in 1787, but declined the office because of his wife's failing health. She died 1787, and Stone never got over the grief. He decided to travel to England, but died in Alexandria while waiting for the ship. He was forty-four years old. Little else is know about Thomas Stone, as no letters or papers accounting his life have ever been found.

Thomas Stone (1743 - 1787)

Signer of the Declaration of Independence from Maryland. Born in Charles County, Maryland, not far from the present-day Washington, DC. He borrowed money to study law in the Annapolis office of Thomas Johnson, who later became Maryland’s first state governor. For several years, he practiced law in Frederick, Maryland, and in 1768, he married Margaret Brown, with whom he had three children. Seeking a quiet life, the family settled on a farm in Charles County in 1771 where he continued to practice law. By the early 1770s, he had made a name for himself as an opponent of British policies towards the colonies. In December 1774, he was elected as a delegate to the First Continental Congress, and his took his seat in May 1775. Stone rarely spoke in Congress, and although he favored independence for the colonies, he initially urged a policy of reconciliation and negotiation with Britain. Even after he signed the Declaration of Independence, he still favored finding some way to make peace with Britain. While in Congress, he served on the committee that created the Articles of Confederation. After the war, he was elected to the Maryland senate three times, dying during his third term. In 1787, he was elected to represent Maryland at the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia, but held off going because his wife was extremely ill. When Margaret died in June 1787, he was so grief-stricken that he gave up his law practice and died just four months after his wife’s passing, dying of grief at the age of 44. (bio by: Kit and Morgan Benson)

1760 abt age: 17 Maryland Colony, borrowed money to study law in Annapolis office of Thomas Johnson, lst State Gov. of Maryland Marriage to Margaret Brown 1768 Age: 25 Virginia, United States 1 source citation Residence 1771 Age: 28 Charles County, Maryland, colony lived on farm with his wife, Margaret, and children. Occupation c1774 Age: 31 Selected as delegate to lst Continental Congress and he took his seat in May 1775. Occupation 1776 Age: 33 After American Revolutionary War he was elected to Maryland Senate 3 times, dying during 3rd term. Occupation 1787 May Age: 44 He was elected to represent Maryland at the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia, but held off going because his wife was extremely ill. When Margaret died in June 1787, he was so grief-stricken that he gave up his law practice and died just 4 months after his wife's passing. Death 1787 5 Oct Age: 44 Alexandria, Fairfax, Virginia, USA buried: Port Tobacco, Charles County, Maryland [1] 2 source citations Cause of Death 4 months after his wife, Margaret, died, he died of grief at the age of 44.

Thomas Stone

Not as vocal as his compatriots, Thomas Stone is one of the lesser known signers of the Declaration of Independence. He served his country when called to do so, but preferred a quiet life with family over a life in the limelight.

Thomas Stone was born in 1743 in Charles County, Maryland. He loved learning, even as a boy, and, as the story goes, rode 10 miles on horseback every day to attend school. Like so many of his contemporaries, after his primary education, he pursued the law, studying under Thomas Johnson, Maryland’s first state governor.

In 1764, he was accepted into the foo of Maryland and set up his own practice, which was moderately successful. In 1768, he married Margaret Brown. The pair were extremely happy together they bought a farm and had three children. Over time, Stone’s law practice grew, and he built a reputation for promoting anti-British policies.

In 1774, Thomas Stone was elected to the Continental Congress, and was re-elected several years in a row. He was not as vocal as some of the other Congressmen, but we do know that he was was pro-independence, even though he supported reconciliatory measures to begin with and the State of Maryland limited his ability to vote for extreme patriotic measures.

The Maryland legislature was cautious of the rebellious spirit which had invaded Boston and ordered the delegates of their state not to vote for independence without the prior approval of the state. Therefore, Stone and the other Maryland signers, Samuel Chase and William Paca, frustrated some of the Congressmen who were very strongly in favor of separation from England. When, however, it appeared that separation was the only choice, Maryland gave the go ahead, and the Maryland delegates voted in favor of independence. They all signed the Declaration of Independence, but Thomas Stone hoped that America would peacefully resolve things with England, as he was a pacifist and hoped to avoid loss of life.

Thomas Stone was elected to be on the committee drafting the Articles of Confederation. During this time, his wife came to visit him in Philadelphia. Smallpox was running rampant through the colonies, so Thomas had Margaret inoculated. It affected her poorly. She grew very sick and though she initially recovered, her health was never the same. She continued to decline over the years.

After signing the Declaration, Thomas took Margaret home, and didn’t take further part in the Congress at Philadelphia, only attending a few meetings when Congress met in Annapolis in 1784. When the Maryland legislature began to question whether they’d made a mistake joining the confederacy, Stone joined the Maryland legislature in order to help win them over. He helped explain the Articles until Maryland agreed to sign them.

Thomas Stone was elected to the Maryland Senate in 1779, and served until 1785, when he withdrew from his law practice and all public life to care for his wife and children. Thomas was invited to attend the Constitutional Convention, but declined. In 1787, Margaret died, leaving him heartbroken.

Stone never recovered from his grief. Four months after Margaret’s death, his physician recommended a sea voyage to cheer him up, and it was at a shipyard in Alexandria, VA where Thomas Stone, waiting for his ship, died suddenly of his grief at 44 years old.

Watch the video: Viewing Stone Suiseki Collection Tour with Thomas S. Elias, PhD